Friday, July 19, 2013

Blogging With Faith ~ Jamie

Today you are in for a treat, Jamie is the writer of one of my favorite blogs. She is a brand spankin' new newlywed and had such a gorgeous wedding! She also wears some of the cutest clothes around that I always drool over! On top of all that, she is such an amazingly Godly woman. Her fresh perspective on faith and what it means to follow God is something to admire. You all are going to love what she has to say!
 photo faithpsd_zps39e412a4.jpg

Hey y’all! I’m Jamie and I blog at Southern Simplicity . I am a 23 year old newlywed, living in Athens, Georgia, and I’m about to start my first year of teaching. I was so excited when Tavia approached me about participating in this series. I was on my honeymoon when I got the e-mail and even told my husband what a great idea this was! 

When I sat down to decide what to write about one pressing thought kept coming to my mind: my church’s mission statement. “Our mission is to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. We accomplish our mission by creating irresistible environments where people are encouraged and equipped to pursue intimacy with God, community with insiders, and influence with outsiders.”

That last part, influence with outsiders, is what really kept sticking out to me. When I think about blogging, and the community I have gained through it, I think about the fact that most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are not Christians. I have always been a firm believer that you should have close, Christian friends who can hold you accountable and have the same values. But, I also think it is really important to do life with people who do not share your faith. How could we ever expect non-Christians to become Christians if we don’t show them love? As an outsider looking at a Christian it’s not so much about what the Christian believes but rather what they do. John 13:35 says, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” It is not our place to judge others actions, we just need to show love.


I challenge you today, to step out of your comfort zone and reach out to a non-believer. Show them that just because you are a Christian doesn’t mean you are boring, or that you never mess up (because Lord knows I am far from boring and I mess up quite a bit!!), show them that you are just like them, but with a heavenly Father who loves unconditionally despite our flaws. I have always said that I am a silently bold person. I don’t feel the need to tell everyone I meet that I am a Christian, but rather I want them to see the way I act, see the way I talk, see the way I treat people, and wonder what is different about me. I want people to know I’m a Christian without me having to display it in bright lights. Frankly, before I was a Christian I was completely turned off by people who threw their faith in my face. It felt more like an attack. And I never want to make someone feel that way. Church should be a place for the broken. For people seeking to know Jesus and have an intimate relationship with Him without worrying about their past, present, or future mistakes. 

Thanks for letting me share with y’all today!

xO,
jamie

No comments:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r796/tavia_smith1/signature_zps28848455.png